Chimney Fire Victoria BC
Proudly Serving the Greater Victoria BC Area – Saanich, Saanichton, North Saanich, Sidney, Sooke, East Sooke, Metchosin, Colwood, Langford, Highlands, View Royal, Esquimalt, Oak Bay British Columbia.
We Can Provide
- Chimney Inspections after Chimney Fire to Ascertain Usability and Damages
- Removal of cracked Clay Flue Liners and Liner replacement
- Cleaning of Glazed or Honeycombed Creosote
- Replacement of Chimney or Chimney Liners as Necessary
Creosote is formed and deposited hidden in a chimney flue in several ways:
- burning wood with a moisture content over 20% – Optimum is between 12 and 20%
- burning wood with high resin content like yellow cedar
- burning cold smoldering fires
- Make sure you have a good bed of coals before adding larger firewood pieces
- Do not smolder fires overnight
- Use a Stove Thermometer to better manage your creosote accumulation
- chimney has no rain cap allowing rain to cool smoke
- flue is larger than the source ie, 6″ stove outlet to 6×9″ or 12×12″ flue which creates a depressurization and rapid cooling of gases to form creosote deposits.
The rules are a “wood burning fireplace chimney must be inspected annually and cleaned as necessary.”
- If you are burning cold fires or wet, resin high wood you may need to clean your stove chimney weekly. That is how fast creosote can build up.
How much is too much creosote? 1/4″ or more glazed creosote can cause serious problems if it ignites creosote is like steam, it can expand up to a thousand times its size when burning and create a plug in the chimney flue or liner.
After a chimney fire has been discovered and extinguished with foam or a chemical fire extinguisher the first step is to call a certified chimney sweep to clean up and assess the damages, then outline a chimney fire restoration plan.
WETT Certified Chimney Sweep, Maintenance and Repairs in Victoria, Oak Bay, Saanich, East Sooke, Sooke, Colwood, Esquimalt, Langford, Sidney, Vic West, View Royal, Saanichton, Brentwood, North Saanich, Metchosin and area.
Save a Disastrous Fire by Testing your Firewood Moisture Content
Check your Firewood Moisture Content – 12-20% is best
We usually carry a stock of reasonably priced moisture meters in our service vehicle!
Roland von Schellwitz
Victoria BC’s “Flue Guru”
WETT Certified Chimney Services
12 Years Successful Contracting and Trade Experience
- Local “Owner Operator” Family Business Serving Greater Victoria BC
- Systems Engineering Graduate, HVAC and building automation control system developer.
- Trained in trades by Dean Brandhagan, a Master Tradesman – Interprovincial RedSeal Journeyman Brick Mason since 1973, Journeyman Carpenter since 1988, Journeyman Concrete Technician
- WETT Certified Wood Heat Professional Inspector, Installer and Chimney Sweep
- Licenced – Worksafe BC – Insured – BBB
Talk or Text 1 (250) 418-5110
Annual Inspections and Cleaning
- Since 1 in every 7 House fires is caused by a wood burning appliance – BC Fire Code and most Insurance Companies Require Annual Inspections & Cleanings on Wood Burning Devices.
Our Chimney Sweep Service
- Depending on type of fuel and your burning habits – it may be necessary to clean your chimney more often than annually – but generally an annual sweep and inspection will remove any debris, creosote, critters or bird nests.
- WETT Certified Inspection Reports for Insurance or Building Permits for your Wood Burning Equipment Click to book Starts at $125
- Annual Fireplace Chimney Cleaning Service available – Starts at $125 (Insurance Company Acceptable) Click to book Starts at $125
- Wood Burning Stove and Insert Cleaning- We have specialized tools to protect chimney liners from damages during cleaning. Click to book Starts at $125
- Creosote Deglazing – Sometimes creosote from smoldering fires or wet wood can accumulate in the flue. This needs to be dealt with using different equipment and methods. Contact us for quote
- Note: We Power Sweep your chimney flue with the latest Technology from the inside or the bottom. In 90% of situations it is no longer necessary to go on slippery steep dangerous roofs.
- Building Depressurization Inspection for Draft Issues to determine how your building competes for draft Starts at $125 Book Now
- Draft Inducers for Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts for poor drawing basement and outside “cold” chimney installations Contact for quote
- Key Dampers for Installations with too much draft Contact for quote
- Stove Door Gaskets Contact for quote
- Combustion Air Intake Vents Contact for quote
- Chimney Sealing to prevent expensive Heat Loss and water or critter entry Contact for quote
- How to properly light a woodstove or fireplace insert
- How to light your open Wood Burning fireplace
Repairs and Upgrades
- Masonry Chimney & Fireplace Updates – Repointing, Rebuilding, Repairs or Removals Contact for quote
- Chimney top Crown Flashings with Drip Edge – Prevents leaks and erosion – adds years to chimney life
- Wood Stove and Wood Burning Insert Repairs. Cleaning and Installations – Specialized tools to protect chimney liner from damages during cleaning. Click to book service call.
New Equipment Installations
- EPA Certified Fireplace Inserts Supplied and Installed Starting at $2995.00
- EPA Certified Wood Burning Stove Replacements Supplied and Installed Starting at $1995.00
- Hi Temperature Steel Chimney Installations, Repairs and Replacements Contact for quote
- Chimney Liners
- Raincaps Contact for quote
- Fireplace Top Dampers
Wood Burning Accessories
- Stovepipe or Stove top Thermometers
- Double Wall Stovepipe Thermometers
- Remote Flue Gas Thermometers with Over Fire Alarms
- Firewood Moisture Meters
Visit My Website http://flue.guru