Stove Top Thermometer or Stovepipe Type – Helpful or Not?
I just read a post where the writer said that because the fire has cycles the stove top thermometer or stovepipe thermometer may be a hindrance. I agree somewhat in the case if you are an experienced operator and are attentive and really know your equipment…
Having said that, as a chimney sweep I find that type of operator few and far between and see many mistakes from even the most seasoned of operators.
So I believe a Wood stove thermometer can be helpful in most cases, especially to the inexperienced stove user and is especially helpful for older stoves without glass doors.
As an all round chimney maintenance guy, I get to see a lot of peoples burning habits when I clean their chimneys.
One of the most common errors I see is a stove that is too large for the area it is in. This type of situation results in the stove air being shut down and the fire smouldered because it’s just too hot in the room. Smouldering the stove always creates an accumulation of oily creosote in the chimney liner.
This creosote coats the pipe rather evenly all the way up. Then when a hot fire is burned, let’s say Christmas wrap or cardboard the chimney is filled up with flames and either melts the creosote which drips back down and plugs the liner or ignites the creosote and results in a chimney fire.
While a wood stove thermometer will not cure this oversize problem it will bring the idea to not smoulder the fire to the forefront as the readings point out when the fire is too cold and consequently making accumulated creosote.
Stovepipe thermometers come in several types, magnetic stove pipe type or stove top ones (some have a separate range reading for both) these are effective on single wall stove pipe.
If you have double wall pipe there is a drill in type that reads the flue gases.
Digital Wood Stove Thermometer for Fireplace Inserts
There are also good thermometers with digital read outs that are really good to prevent over firing into the liners of fireplace inserts where the stove exhaust is not seen. They come with an over fire alarm.
I have a few of these remote digital ones. The cost is $199. plus shipping and taxes.
Here is a link to some great wood burning tips.
Consultations, Second Opinions, Pre Installation Tips
Have specific Smoke Problems, Chimney or Wood Burning System questions ? Book a n Inspection today!
Victoria BC’s “Flue Guru”
WETT Certified Chimney Services
45 Years Successful Contracting and Trade Experience
- Local “Owner Operator” Family Business Serving Greater Victoria BC
- Master Tradesman – Interprovincial RedSeal Journeyman Brick Mason since 1973, Journeyman Carpenter since 1988, Journeyman Concrete Technician
- WETT Certified Wood Heat Professional System Advisor, Inspector, Installer and Chimney Sweep
- Licenced – Worksafe BC – Insured – BBB
Talk or Text 1 (250) 418-5110
Annual Inspections and Cleaning
- Since 1 in every 7 House fires is caused by a wood burning appliance – BC Fire Code and most Insurance Companies Require Annual Inspections & Cleanings on Wood Burning Devices.
Our Chimney Sweep Service
- Depending on type of fuel and your burning habits – it may be necessary to clean your chimney more often than annually – but generally an annual sweep and inspection will remove any debris, creosote, critters or bird nests.
- WETT Certified Inspection Reports for Insurance or Building Permits for your Wood Burning Equipment Click to book Starts at $125
- Annual Fireplace Chimney Cleaning Service available – Starts at $125 (Insurance Company Acceptable) Click to book Starts at $125
- Wood Burning Stove and Insert Cleaning- We have specialized tools to protect chimney liners from damages during cleaning. Click to book Starts at $125
- Creosote Deglazing – Sometimes creosote from smoldering fires or wet wood can accumulate in the flue. This needs to be dealt with using different equipment and methods. Contact us for quote
- Note: We Power Sweep your chimney flue with the latest Technology from the inside or the bottom. In 90% of situations it is no longer necessary to go on slippery steep dangerous roofs.
- Building Depressurization Inspection for Draft Issues to determine how your building competes for draft Starts at $125 Book Now
- Draft Inducers for Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts for poor drawing basement and outside “cold” chimney installations Contact for quote
- Key Dampers for Installations with too much draft Contact for quote
- Stove Door Gaskets Contact for quote
- Combustion Air Intake Vents Contact for quote
- Chimney Sealing to prevent expensive Heat Loss and water or critter entry Contact for quote
- How to properly light a woodstove or fireplace insert
- How to light your open Wood Burning fireplace
Repairs and Upgrades
- Masonry Chimney & Fireplace Updates – Repointing, Rebuilding, Repairs or Removals Contact for quote
- Chimney top Crown Flashings with Drip Edge – Prevents leaks and erosion – adds years to chimney life
- Wood Stove and Wood Burning Insert Repairs. Cleaning and Installations – Specialized tools to protect chimney liner from damages during cleaning. Click to book service call.
- Wood Stove Heat Shields can reduce Clearances
New Equipment Installations
- EPA Certified Fireplace Inserts Supplied and Installed Starting at $2995.00
- EPA Certified Wood Burning Stove Replacements Supplied and Installed Starting at $1995.00
- Hi Temperature Steel Chimney Installations, Repairs and Replacements Contact for quote
- Chimney Liners
- Raincaps Contact for quote
- Fireplace Top Dampers
Wood Burning Accessories
- Stovepipe or Stove top Thermometers
- Double Wall Stovepipe Thermometers
- Remote Flue Gas Thermometers with Over Fire Alarms
- Firewood Moisture Meters
Visit My Website http://flue.guru