WETT Inspection Southern Gulf Islands
Pender Island, Galiano Island, Saturna Island, Mayne Island, Salt Spring Island, Sidney Island, and other small islands.
Our Basic WETT Inspection Reports for ” Level One Inspections” cost $260 per Wood Burning Stove, Wood Burning Furnace, Pellet Stove or Cook Stove appliance, Fireplace or Flue System. This is additional to travel fees and we have a minimum charge for visiting an island, as it ends up being a long day for us.
As well we charge extra water taxi fees for outlaying smaller islands.
If the stove you have has no label it may be possible to issue a good report based on the guidelines for uncertified stoves.
We used to try and arrange multiple inspections for different people on the same visit but that never worked out well so we don’t do that any more.
Here are our Credentials
Wood Energy Technology Transfer
Why Now? Why Me?
Most of the questions we get asked is why does the Insurance Company want this expensive inspection now when the stove has been working well for the last 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40 years?
The biggest answer is one in every seven house fires is caused by the wood burning stove.
There are other answers like pyrolization which is the slow drying out of framing members which eventually lowers the combustion temperature to the ignition point of paper 451 degrees F. Remember the movie Fahenheit 451? So if your stove has been operating with improper clearances for any length of time it has begun the pyrolization process.
The other reason for insurance companies demanding these inspections now is because there is now a framework to keep these WETT inspection reports somewhat uniform having inspectors who are also tradespeople being educated to be impartial and knowledgeable with a uniform code book.
Having said that – we are impartial trades people and not stove salesmen which is good for you in most cases.
I have a Brick Wall Behind the Stove – Should be Good
The other main reason that independent WETT inspection reports are needed is the false idea of homeowners that because a brick or stone wall is behind the stove it is for some reason fire code compliant.
Ufortunately a brick or stone wall will transfer heat through walls very readily and that pyrolized dried out hidden combustible or wood framing can have a ignition point of paper by now.
We have seen lots of fires break out behind the masonry where it is impossible to spot. Check the photo on the top of the page and you will see where the creosote melted and dropped to the bottom of a chimney fire and burned the deck through the bricks.
Our Video Walk Through of a Typical WETT Inspection
Here is our Video covering a basic Level One WETT Inspection
WETT Inspection Reports
There are actually three levels of WETT Inspection reports depending on what we see on the Level one we may wish to move to the Level Two or Level Three. Most of the time we are able to ascertain any issues within these three levels on the Gulf Islands for the cost as we usually have enough time to look over things quite thoroughly.
Three Levels of WETT Inspection Reports are Available
Look at the official definition of the three levels of WETT Inspection in the photo below.
Our WETT Inspection Reports
We provide detailed PDF Reports with photos and helpful documents like owners manuals (if available – we have copies of most manuals from this area) which you can email to your your insurance or realtor so everyone can have a copy.
We are familiar with these Wood Burning Appliances, Chimneys and accessories: ArchGaurd, Auber Flue Gas Thermometers, BIS, AGA, Blaze King, Brunco, Century, CFA, Canterbury, Coalbrookdale, Daley, Drolet, Dutchwest, Elmira, Englander, Enviro Fire, Enterprise, Excel Chimney, Fawcett, Fisher, HearthStone, Heartland, Heatilator, Hevac, ICC, Jacuzzi, Jotul, Kent, Kodiak, Lopi, Majestic Fireplaces, Marco, Napoleon, Osburn, Oliver McLeod, Orley, Pacific Energy, Pinehill, Petit Godin, Regency, Resolute, RSF, Savannah, SBI, Security Chimney Products, Scan Anderson, Seefire, Sherwood Industries, Superior, Simpson DuraVent Duraliner, Triumph, Timber Ridge,Tuluviki, Ultra black Stovepipe & Certified Wall Pass throughs, Valor, Vermont Castings, Waterford, Z Flex liners and Liner Insulation, and many other woodstoves and appliances..
Please Book Early
Call to arrange time as we only are able to get to the Gulf islands once a month in the Spring and Summer. If we have to do a rush inspection we have to add an additional charge.
Roland von Schellwitz, B.Eng
Victoria BC’s “Flue Guru”
WETT Certified Chimney Services
10 Years Successful Contracting and Trade Experience
- Local “Owner Operator” Family Business Serving Greater Victoria BC
- Trained by the late Dean Brandhagen, Master Tradesman ( Interprovincial RedSeal Journeyman Brick Mason since 1973, Journeyman Carpenter since 1988, Journeyman Concrete Technician)
- WETT Certified Wood Heat Professional System Advisor, Inspector, Installer and Chimney Sweep
- Engineering graduate: Systems Engineering UVic, 2004
- Licenced – Worksafe BC – Insured – BBB
Talk or Text 1 (250) 418-5110
Annual Inspections and Cleaning
- Since 1 in every 7 House fires is caused by a wood burning appliance – BC Fire Code and most Insurance Companies Require Annual Inspections & Cleanings on Wood Burning Devices.
Our Chimney Sweep Service
- Depending on type of fuel and your burning habits – it may be necessary to clean your chimney more often than annually – but generally an annual sweep and inspection will remove any debris, creosote, critters or bird nests.
- WETT Certified Inspection Reports for Insurance or Building Permits for your Wood Burning Equipment Click to book Starts at $200
- Annual Fireplace Chimney Cleaning Service available – Starts at $200 (Insurance Company Acceptable) Click to book Starts at $200
- Wood Burning Stove and Insert Cleaning- We have specialized tools to protect chimney liners from damages during cleaning. Click to book Starts at $200
- Creosote Deglazing – Sometimes creosote from smoldering fires or wet wood can accumulate in the flue. This needs to be dealt with using different equipment and methods. Contact us for quote
- Note: We Power Sweep your chimney flue with the latest Technology from the inside or the bottom. In 90% of situations it is no longer necessary to go on slippery steep dangerous roofs.
- Building Depressurization Inspection for Draft Issues to determine how your building competes for draft Starts at $200 Book Now
- Draft Inducers for Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts for poor drawing basement and outside “cold” chimney installations Contact for quote
- Key Dampers for Installations with too much draft Contact for quote
- Stove Door Gaskets Contact for quote
- Combustion Air Intake Vents Contact for quote
- Chimney Sealing to prevent expensive Heat Loss and water or critter entry Contact for quote
- How to properly light a woodstove or fireplace insert
- How to light your open Wood Burning fireplace
Repairs and Upgrades
- Masonry Chimney & Fireplace Updates – Repointing, Rebuilding, Repairs or Removals Contact for quote
- Chimney top Crown Flashings with Drip Edge – Prevents leaks and erosion – adds years to chimney life
- Wood Stove and Wood Burning Insert Repairs. Cleaning and Installations – Specialized tools to protect chimney liner from damages during cleaning. Click to book service call.
New Equipment Installations
- EPA Certified Fireplace Inserts Supplied and Installed
- EPA Certified Wood Burning Stove Replacements Supplied and Installed
- Hi Temperature Steel Chimney Installations, Repairs and Replacements Contact for quote
- Chimney Liners
- Raincaps Contact for quote
- Fireplace Top Dampers
Wood Burning Accessories
- Stovepipe or Stove top Thermometers
- Double Wall Stovepipe Thermometers
- Remote Flue Gas Thermometers with Over Fire Alarms
- Firewood Moisture Meters
Visit My Website https://flue.guru