Chimney Liner Victoria BC – Flue Guru
Proudly Serving the Greater Victoria BC Area – Saanich, Saanichton, North Saanich, Sidney, Sooke, East Sooke, Metchosin, Colwood, Langford, Highlands, View Royal, Esquimalt, Oak Bay British Columbia.
Chimney Liner Victoria BC Videos and Information
- Installing a chimney liner for your wood burning stove or fireplace insert means you now have a closed loop and can control chimney fires better rather than have large accumulation of highly flammable material and oxygen supply at your masonry clean-out
- Costs to install a stainless steel liner in an existing one storey chimney start at $800 and up, depending on type of liner, length and difficulty to install.
- Feel free to call for price on your particular system!
Unlined Pre 1950 Masonry Brick or Stone Fireplaces
- There are thousands of pre fifties unlined masonry fireplaces in the Victoria BC area and there is no real effective way to install a clay liner in these fireplaces.
- Although these Victorian era units are extremely cute and capture the bygone Victorian Coal Burning Era – they are not safe and waste HUGE amounts of expensive heatas well as letting in large amounts of rainwater. Stainless liners do not supply a code compliant solution unless they are insulated and one insulated, the liner is usually too small to be effective.
- An unlined masonry fireplace is an open invitation to a chimney fire as highly flammable creosote collects in all the various rugged nooks and crannies in the mortar joints inside the chimney.
- A chimney fire can reach temperatures above 2000 degrees F and is worsened in an unlined chimney due3 to its ability to draw combustion air through mortar joints. This high heat can transfer through bricks readily and ignite adjacent wood framing.
- The best solution is to install a small insert with an insulated liner. There is an insert available that can be burned with a screen so as to capture the crackling ambience associated with wood burning for those romantic evenings. But this insert is also an effective heater with the ceramic glass door on and doesn’t waste expensive energy like a open masonry fireplace.
Fireplace Insert with No Dedicated Chimney Liner
- Here is our video showing the dangerous hidden creosote accumulations of a fireplace insert that had been installed without a dedicated liner.
- This type of installation was common during the nineteen seventies and eighties
- This type of installation is no longer considered to be an acceptable method of installation and it is illegal to reinstall this insert after cleaning the fireplace without adding a dedicated liner
Insulated liner for an Unlined Brick Chimney
- Here is our video of a double wall insulated chimney liner There are a lot of unlined brick chimneys in the Victoria BC area
- In order to install a fireplace insert in an unlined brick chimney a double wall liner must be used.
Its Time to install a Chimney Liner when:
• Here is our video of a chimney liner installation where the stove was having a problem keeping the existing clay liner hot enough to function on a cold outside wall chimney. Flue size was 12″ x 12″ when the stove outlet is 6″ diameter which is bad math. The flue gases cannot properly heat that large a space inside the flue to provide enough draw for the stove to operate properly.
When damage to existing chimney lining is evident or when a masonry chimney has no liner at all.
• When new wood burning appliance is installed in existing equipment like a fireplace insert into Masonry Fireplace
• When a new appliance like a wood stove is connected to an existing masonry chimney
• When the existing chimney flue is oversized relative to heating equipment like a wood stove with a six inch outlet is connected to a larger flue opening.
chimney liner victoria bc
Roland von Schellwitz
Victoria BC’s “Flue Guru”
WETT Certified Chimney Services
10 Years Successful Contracting and Trade Experience
- Local “Owner Operator” Family Business Serving Greater Victoria BC
- Trained by the late Dean Brandhagen, Master Tradesman ( Interprovincial RedSeal Journeyman Brick Mason since 1973, Journeyman Carpenter since 1988, Journeyman Concrete Technician)
- WETT Certified Wood Heat Professional System Advisor, Inspector, Installer and Chimney Sweep
- Engineering graduate: Systems Engineering UVic, 2004
- Licenced – Worksafe BC – Insured – BBB
Talk or Text 1 (250) 418-5110
Annual Inspections and Cleaning
- Since 1 in every 7 House fires is caused by a wood burning appliance – BC Fire Code and most Insurance Companies Require Annual Inspections & Cleanings on Wood Burning Devices.
Our Chimney Sweep Service
- Depending on type of fuel and your burning habits – it may be necessary to clean your chimney more often than annually – but generally an annual sweep and inspection will remove any debris, creosote, critters or bird nests.
- WETT Certified Inspection Reports for Insurance or Building Permits for your Wood Burning Equipment Click to book Starts at $140
- Annual Fireplace Chimney Cleaning Service available – Starts at $140 (Insurance Company Acceptable) Click to book Starts at $140
- Wood Burning Stove and Insert Cleaning- We have specialized tools to protect chimney liners from damages during cleaning. Click to book Starts at $140
- Creosote Deglazing – Sometimes creosote from smoldering fires or wet wood can accumulate in the flue. This needs to be dealt with using different equipment and methods. Contact us for quote
- Note: We Power Sweep your chimney flue with the latest Technology from the inside or the bottom. In 90% of situations it is no longer necessary to go on slippery steep dangerous roofs.
- Building Depressurization Inspection for Draft Issues to determine how your building competes for draft Starts at $140 Book Now
- Draft Inducers for Wood Stoves and Fireplace Inserts for poor drawing basement and outside “cold” chimney installations Contact for quote
- Key Dampers for Installations with too much draft Contact for quote
- Stove Door Gaskets Contact for quote
- Combustion Air Intake Vents Contact for quote
- Chimney Sealing to prevent expensive Heat Loss and water or critter entry Contact for quote
- How to properly light a woodstove or fireplace insert
- How to light your open Wood Burning fireplace
Repairs and Upgrades
- Masonry Chimney & Fireplace Updates – Repointing, Rebuilding, Repairs or Removals Contact for quote
- Chimney top Crown Flashings with Drip Edge – Prevents leaks and erosion – adds years to chimney life
- Wood Stove and Wood Burning Insert Repairs. Cleaning and Installations – Specialized tools to protect chimney liner from damages during cleaning. Click to book service call.
New Equipment Installations
- EPA Certified Fireplace Inserts Supplied and Installed Starting at $2995.00
- EPA Certified Wood Burning Stove Replacements Supplied and Installed Starting at $1995.00
- Hi Temperature Steel Chimney Installations, Repairs and Replacements Contact for quote
- Chimney Liners
- Raincaps Contact for quote
- Fireplace Top Dampers
Wood Burning Accessories
- Stovepipe or Stove top Thermometers
- Double Wall Stovepipe Thermometers
- Remote Flue Gas Thermometers with Over Fire Alarms
- Firewood Moisture Meters
Visit My Website http://flue.guru